2013년 10월 16일 수요일

Miss World 2013 Megan Young makes triumphant return to Philippines

Miss World 2013 Megan Young makes triumphant return to Philippines

The threat of Typhoon Nari didn't deter Filipinos from giving newly-crowned Miss World 2013 Megan Young a grand homecoming fit for a queen.






MANILA: The threat of Typhoon Nari didn't deter Filipinos from giving newly-crowned Miss World 2013 Megan Young a grand homecoming fit for a queen.

On Friday, thousands of Filipino fans braved the rain and lined the streets of the central business district Makati just to get a glimpse of the country's first ever Miss World.


Young's historic win means the Philippines now has won at least one crown each from the world's four largest beauty pageants.


She said: "It's a great honour to represent the country itself. Before, I could only dream of being that girl who represents the Philippines. And while I was in Indonesia, I still couldn't believe I had that name tag Philippines, that I had the sash that said Philippines.


"Being Miss World now, having my country behind me, representing my country, it's a big thing. I have a huge responsibility on my shoulders."


In a country where beauty contests are a serious affair, analysts said the triumph of the 23-year old actress is a morale booster to Filipinos.

Sociologist Dr Gerald Abergos said: "There are insurgencies in Zamboanga and we were faced with several floods and storms. This beauty pageant has uplifted the morale of the Filipino people.


"It seems that any event, may it be sporting event, musical event, especially beauty pageants, Filipinos in the country and all around the world, start to unite. That is how Filipinos support each other. That is what we call Filipino pride."


After Young's impressive victory, Miss World organisers in Philippines said they are now working hard to have the country hosts the Miss World beauty pageant in the near future.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기